Get to Know Germantown, TN
When it comes to moving to a new city, it's important to do your research to ensure you're making the right choice. We want to make the process easier, so we've put together a guide on our favorite places in Germantown, Tennessee, and why you and your family will love the area!
A Family-Friendly Environment
Germantown is a well-known hub for family life in the Memphis area. With great schools, high marks for safety, and incredible healthcare opportunities, to name just a few, this suburb is an oasis for families of all shapes and sizes.
Education at Its Finest
With a 95% 4-year graduation rate and the highest ACT scores in the state six years running, the Germantown Municipal School District has a long-standing legacy of academic excellence – and the numbers to back it up. This nationally-ranked connective of K-12 schools offers updated facilities, world-class teachers and coaches, and a variety of afterschool programs that will give your child the solid foundation they need to prepare for college and the years beyond.
One of the Safest Cities in Tennessee
When you’re making a move to provide for your family, safety is at the top of your list, and there’s no shortage of security in Germantown. Consistently ranking as one of the safest cities in Tennessee, this suburb boasts a low crime rate year after year. The city even earned an A+ ranking overall, according to Niche.
Germantown is where Tennessee starts to look like Tennessee, and from your first walk through one of its beautiful neighborhoods, you’ll begin to see why. Known for its tree-lined streets and well-maintained neighborhoods, Germantonians enjoy spacious homes and manicured lawns. The city offers various housing options, from single-family homes to townhomes and apartments, catering to different lifestyles and budgets.
Germantown’s medical district houses several major hospitals and healthcare facilities, providing convenient access to its citizens and their families. From family dentistry and orthodontics to pediatrics and orthopedics, you'll always have access to the best care for whatever comes your way.
Access to the Outdoors
Whether you're a nature-lover who loves hikes or a parent looking for the perfect park, you'll find many options to get out, get active, and enjoy the city you call home. Germantown has 31 parks, sports complexes, special facilities and other green spaces that cover more than 800 acres of land.
These feature athletic fields and courts, picnic areas, biking/walking trails, playgrounds and facilities. There are even plans in the works for a new 46-acre sports complex that could support soccer, rugby, baseball, basketball, football, & other sports. Here are just a few of our favorites:
- Cameron Brown Park: Whether your child is a little league baseball player or just getting into pickleball, driving to Cameron Brown is sure to be a part of your regular routine. This large park features a playground, walking trails, sports fields, and picnic areas. It's a great place for kids to run, play, and enjoy the outdoors.
- Wolf River Nature Trail: The Wolf River Nature Area consists of 150 acres and serves as a focal point for the Germantown Greenway System. With 7 educational stations, this park provides a place for visitors to experience, learn, and explore the many facets of the great outdoors.
- Germantown Greenway: This 13-mile paved pathway is a paradise for walkers, runners, and bikers alike – and the trail system is set to expand to 22 miles in the near future!
One thing that’s never in short supply in Germantown is entertainment. From unique experiences like the yearly Germantown Charity Horse Show to its frequent celebrations of the arts, whatever your recreational niche is, you’ll find it here. Not to mention, its proximity to Memphis means this suburb getaway is just a short drive from city life when you need a change of pace.
Germantown Charity Horse Show
Germantown has a long history as an equestrian city. In fact, this suburb even has speed limit signs for the horses (10 miles per hour, to be exact)! Keeping in line with this tradition, the annual Germantown Charity Horse Show in June features equestrian competitions, food vendors, and entertainment fit for the whole family.
Germantown Performing Arts Center
Lovingly known as the “GPAC,” this cultural center offers a variety of family-friendly performances, including theater shows, concerts, and dances. Take in the good weather and sunshine at The Grove, the GPAC’s outdoor lawn and stage, or sign up for a classic play in the Duncan-Williams Performance Hall indoors – either way, you’re always in for a treat at the GPAC.
Live, dine, shop, or stay at Thornwood, the European-style mixed-use facility located next to the GPAC. By combining all of these amenities in one location – hotels, restaurants, apartments, and stores – Thornwood makes living feel easy and comfortable. A few of our favorites include the upscale country-chic Moondance Grill and the Memphis-based Buff City Soap.
The Shops of Saddle Creek
This upscale shopping center, home to the only Apple store for miles, features both trendy local shops and iconic worldwide vendors at one walkable outdoor location. You’ll love visiting this one-stop destination for all things fashion, beauty, home, and technology located right in the heart of Germantown.
Memphis is known for its amazing food, and Germantown is no different. You'll enjoy a diverse food scene with fantastic options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and everything in between! Try these local favorites:
- Germantown Commissary BBQ: A local institution known for its mouthwatering barbecue, this hometown favorite has been serving delicious smoked meats and traditional Southern sides in “Old Germantown” for over 40 years. Their food is homemade, and their Memphis-style BBQ slow cooked the way it should be.
- Southern Social: A popular upscale Southern restaurant with a cozy ambiance, Southern Social offers a modern twist on classic Southern cuisine. Their menu features dishes like fried chicken, shrimp and grits, and braised short ribs made with locally sourced ingredients.
- Las Tortugas Deli Mexicana: This long-standing favorite of Memphians is a family-owned local restaurant offering 100% authentic Mexican food just as you would find in Mexico City. The family prides itself on a commitment to absolute freshness & uncompromising authenticity.
Get the Scoop on Germantown with the JudyMac Team of Realtors
With so many amenities and attractions, it’s no surprise that Germantown offers residents a high quality of life that can’t be found elsewhere. If you’re ready to take advantage of all that Germantown has to offer, we want to help make your dreams a reality! Contact the JudyMac Team of Crye-Leike Realtors, Memphis’ #1 Luxury Agent, to schedule a viewing of one of our homes and learn more about this exciting city. We can’t wait to meet you!
Post a Comment